Energy efficiency is the world’s “invisible” first fuel on the way of decarbonizing our Societies.
At AvantGarde Energy, we know how to detect and unlock its potential. We work on energy efficiency policies, design and implementation of energy efficiency programmes in buildings and industries, energy management and help our clients mobilize and scale-up public and private investments in this sector.
Marina’s and Zoran’s track record with energy efficiency counts dozens of successful projects from around the globe.
Our particular strength and passion is in buildings and municipal sector where opportunities are vast for profitable investment in energy efficiency and resulting benefits for the economy and society are manifold.
List of Energy Efficiency projects we’ve been involved with:
- De-risking and Scaling-up Investment in Energy Efficient Retrofits – Armenia
Green Urban Lighting – Armenia
- Improving energy efficiency in residential buildings – Armenia
- Improving the Energy Efficiency of Municipal Heat and Hot Water Supply in Armenia – Armenia
- Removing barriers to improving energy efficiency of the residential and service sectors – Croatia
- Energy efficient standards, certification, and labeling for appliances and equipment – Kazakhstan
- Promotion of energy efficient lighting – Kazakhstan
- Removing Barriers to Energy Efficiency in Municipal Heat and Hot Water Supply – Kazakhstan
- Improving Energy Efficiency in Buildings – Kyrgyzstan
- Polish Energy Efficient Motors Program – Poland
- Improving Energy Efficiency in Low-Income Households and Communities – Romania
- Transforming the market for Efficient Lighting – Russia
- Building energy efficiency in the North West of Russia – Russia
- Standards and Labels for Promoting Energy Efficiency in Russia – Russia
- Cost Effective Energy Efficiency Measures in the Russian Educational Sector – Russia
- Capacity building to reduce key barriers to EE in Russian residential buildings and heat supply – Russia
- Removing Barriers to Promote and Support Energy Management Systems in Municipalities (EMIS) – Serbia
- Removing barriers to the reconstruction of the public lighting systems in Slovakia – Slovakia
- Improving Energy Efficiency in Industry – Turkey
- Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy for Sustainable Water Management – Turkmenistan
- Improving Energy Efficiency in the Residential Buildings Sector – Turkmenistan
- Energy Efficient Lighting in Residential and Public Buildings – Ukraine
- Removing Barriers to Greenhouse Gas Emissions Mitigation through Energy Efficiency in the District
- Heating System, Phase II – Ukraine
- Market Transformation for Sustainable Rural Housing in Uzbekistan – Uzbekistan
- Promoting Energy Efficiency in Public Buildings – Uzbekistan
Transition to renewable energy sources (RES) is essential to address global climate change challenge. At AvantGarde Energy we strongly believe that renewable energy it is also an equally powerful mean to help alleviate poverty, boost local development and empower people, in particular in many under-developed rural areas around the world. Read more about our research on energy poverty and renewable energy in Tajikistan here.
In our work we focus on designing and implementing such RES programmes that do exactly that: promote renewable energy as a driver of poverty reduction and local development. Our decade-long experience includes development of policy frameworks to de-risk RES investment, design and evaluation of innovative financing instruments and appropriate business models, facilitating technology transfer and domestic supply chain for various RES technologies, including small-hydro, biogas and biomass.
List of Renewable Energy projects we’ve been involved in:
- Solar Water Heating Market Transformation and Strengthening Initiative – Albania
- Biomass Energy for Employment and Energy Security Project – Bosnia-Herzegovina
- Small Hydropower-based Mini-grids for Rural Electrification – Congo – Brazzaville
- Promotion of mini & micro-hydro power plants – Congo DR
- De-risking Renewable Energy Investment – Kazakhstan
- Removing barriers to Wind Power Production – Kazakhstan
- Small Hydro Power Development – Kyrgyzstan
- Power Sector Policy Reform to Promote Small Hydropower Development – Montenegro
- Promoting Low Carbon Energy Solutions in Nigeria Energy/Power Supply – Nigeria
- Sustainable Fuelwood Management in Nigeria – Nigeria
- Removing Barriers to Coal Mine Methane Recovery and Utilization – Russia
- Reducing Barriers to Accelerate the Development of Biomass Markets – Serbia
- Green Energy SME Development Project – Tajikistan
- Technology Transfer and Market Development for Small Hydropower – Tajikistan
- Development and commercialization of Bioenergy Technologies in the Municipal Sector – Ukraine
Smart Energy Cities
A Smart Energy City satisfies all energy needs of its citizens and goes beyond to provide innovative ways to increase the quality of life of its citizens in all areas. We see smart energy cities as implementation platform to enable transition towards low-carbon societies, because while policies are made at the national level, their implementation has to be performed locally, in the cities where most energy is actually consumed.
AvandGarde Energy helps city authorities to put the Smart Energy City concept in practice by supporting mayors to
- Prepare inclusive cross-sector development plans and road maps for transforming a city into a smart city
- implement a city-wide energy management system and measures to increase energy efficiency;
- develop a holistic approach to urban energy systems design and integrate distributed heat and power generation from renewable energy sources.
- manage energy demand, energy storages, and e-mobility to create postive energy blocks
- promote Citizens participation, behaviour change and transition to decarbonized sociaty
Learn more about Smart Energy City here
List of Smart Energy City and Sustainable Urban Development projects we’ve been involved in:
- Municipal Clean Energy Programme – Albania
- Green Baku Port & Logistic Initiative – Azerbaijan
- Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions (NAMAs) for low-carbon end-use sectors – Azerbaijan
- Catalyzing Environmental Finance for Low-carbon Urban Development – Bosnia-Herzegovina
- Sustainable Transport in the City of Almaty – Kazakhstan
- Towards Carbon Neutral Tourism – Montenegro
- Climate Smart Urban Development – Serbia
- Support to sustainable transportation system in the City of Belgrade – Serbia
- Sustainable Mobility in the City of Bratislava – Slovak Republic
- Support to Sustainable Transport Management in Dushanbe – Tajikistan
- Sustainable Cities in Turkmenistan: Integrated Green Urban Development in Ashgabat and Awaza – Turkmenistan
AvantGarde Energy helps public and private-sector clients around the world develop climate change programs and projects, and secure climate finance for their implementation.
In doing so, Marina and Zoran draw on their extensive experience with international climate funds, structuring market-based carbon transactions, identifying and assessing greenhouse gas (GHG) emission reduction opportunities.
We strive to ensure that climate change mitigation and local development go hand in hand and that every tonne of CO2 emissions reduced bring benefits to the people via new jobs, cleaner local environment, and improved social services.
What We Do for Clients
Project Development and Access to Finance
We think big and like transformative ideas. We also know how to convert our ideas into winning funding proposals.
Our successful track record of mobilizing over 130 million $ in grant finance for sustainable energy and climate change mitigation projects speaks for itself.
Contact us to discuss how AvantGarde Energy can help realize your project!
Implementation means very simply getting the job done. But when the job is a complex multi-stakeholder, multi-year project, which is process-based rather than a series of loosely connected discrete events then you may need assistance. This is when our experience with implementing and getting transformative results on the ground will help.
In the world where Governments are changing often and technologies are developing at amazing speed, we put strong emphasis on adaptive management and monitoring impacts rather than on strict adherence to the prescribed set of activities.
We also believe in the power of knowledge, which we are always happy to share!
For example, click on Croatia EE Project Lessons Learned to read about Zoran’s experience with adaptive management and implementation of a truly transformative national energy efficiency programm in Croatia.
All projects are implemented first and foremost by people! People’s skills and motivation are prerequisite for successful implementation of any program. Developing right set of skills is not that simple as it may sound because it requires tailor-made approach starting from defining required competences and skills, and than assessing the gaps in existing knowledge and practices. When we know what we don’t know we are fine already. The problem is when we don’t know what we don’t know! We at AvantGarde Energy can help you there.